OBJECTIVES: The aim of the study was to analyze the use of endoscopic procedures in the group of infertile patients.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: The study material consisted of 636 patients, aged 20-41. They all had endoscopic procedures performed (laparoscopy and/or hysteroscopy) due to infertility, and were qualified for the procedure after a gynecological examination and ultrasound scan. The study group was divided into subgroups of primary and secondary sterility and endoscopic procedures were then analyzed.
RESULTS: A total of 724 endoscopic procedures were performed on 636 patients. Eighty eight women had both hysteroscopy and laparoscopy performed, 476 had only laparoscopy, while 72--only hysteroscopy. Women diagnosed due to primary sterility more often had no visible abnormalities in the pelvic region (30%) and patent oviducts than those with secondary sterility. The remaining 70% more often had ovaries typical for polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis. However, periadnexal adhesions and tubal impotency were more common in the group of secondary sterility. As to hysteroscopy, women with primary sterility more often had congenital uterine malformations, while submucosal myomas and intrauterine adhesions were less common in that group. All the surgical procedures performed during laparoscopies were analyzed. Tubal patency assessment and ovarian drilling were significantly more often performed in the subgroup of primary sterility. All intrauterine pathologies were treated during hysteroscopy.
CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy play an important role as both diagnostic and therapeutic tools in the infertility treatment centers....